Bacolod City, Negros Occidental May 24, 2018 – The Philippines have enjoyed tremendous economic rewards from its status as a global destination for Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) and Shared Services for more than two decades. With the emergence of technologies such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Blockchain and Robotic Process Automation (RPA), traditional and entry level jobs are rapidly being replaced by hybrid technologies such as automated chat bots. For the Philippine BPO and Shared Services industries that employ over a million people in the country, the automation effect poses as a risk to its human capital and ultimately, the future of the industry of itself.
Understanding the changing landscape of business and tech, one of the missions of the Bacolod Blockchain Initiative (B2CI) is to introduce a Blockchain curriculum for colleges in the Philippines. During the Bacolod Blockchain Workshop, DynaQuest Technologies Services (DynaQuest) CEO Randy Knutson unveiled the development roadmap timeline for integrating Blockchain education into local universities during his presentation titled “Blockchain in Education: Blockchain University”.
At the start of the presentation, Randy Knutson stated that “Blockchain is reshaping businesses and commerce as we know it and the future of business processes are dependent on Blockchain, so there is a considerable need for Blockchain specialists within the near future.”
Going over to the presentation, Randy Knutson gathered and presented a number of existing Blockchain courses / curriculums that are designed to train and certify IT students / specialists with Blockchain. These courses were classified into the following models:
Blockchain Online Courses – Courses that are accessible online where students or professionals can learn at their own pace.
- B9 Lab Academy – A world class online training in Blockchain and other decentralized applications, for developers, tech experts, and analysts. Offers the introductory Blockchain courses for free, with advance courses offered on different months, for a Fee.
- Coursera – A course created by IBM for software developers that aims to build Blockhain Foundation, but not cover Bitcoin or other cryptocurrencies in detail.
- Udemy – A course perfect for developers who wish to understand Blockchain and its practical applications, build apps with Ethereum, and design and deploy secure Smart Contracts.
- edX – A FREE online course about Blockchain, and its business benefits and use cases of hyperledger Blockchain frameworks.
- Blockchain Council – diverse range of Blockchain-related courses, for various professionals that are looking for specific concept about Blockchain.
Blockchain University Affiliations – are a collaboration between a Blockchain organization, and an existing educational institution to help create courses, and other activities that will spread knowledge and teach about Blockchain concepts and Blockchain case usages.
- Princeton University – 11 Week Training via Partnership with Coursera
- Duke – “Blockchain and Innovation” FREE offering For undergraduates
- Stanford – FREE Courses based on programming focus on Blockchain
- UNC BERKELEY – They organize workshops, seminars, screencasts, and events
- Blockchain University – Teaches individuals about Blockchain use, research and development, as well as use cases, products and knowledge.
- UNIC Blockchain Initiative – A program built to bridge specialist and generalist knowledge about Blockchain technology and digital currency.
- Woolf University – The first Blockchain‐powered university with its own proprietary token, with courses that can be taken both online and onsite.
- RMIT University (online) – A developed hands‐on Blockchain program for those who want to build realworld strategies and upskill.
- Org – An open source collaboration with Linux Foundation to create advance cross‐industry Blockchain technologies.
Blockchain Hackathons – A hackathon is a programming event, where participants such as computer programmers, developers, as well as designers that usually has a specific focus, which in this case, is Blockchain and its related concepts. In this case, Blockchain proof of concepts are a product of the Hackathons.
- Chainhack – A hacking/networking event for the crypto community
- Bengaluru Tech Summit – A Blockchain hackathon initiated by the government of Karnataka, that aims to build prototypes across government departments.
- Blockchainers – A Blockchain ecosystem of launching customers, investors, governments, corporates, startups, NGOs, universities and regulators.
Funded Blockchain Labs – Blockchain labs are a collaborative effort of experts that utilizes Blockchain technology to produce a wide array of results, ranging from intelligence, use case products, as well as building skills of interested individuals.
- Infinity Blockchain Labs – An open source collaboration to create advance cross-industry Blockchain technologies
- Blockchain Labs – A Blockchain lab that’s a collective of field experts, and provide enterprises the skills to use Blockchain technology.
With the examples given to point out that there is a distinct and yet increasing demand for Blockchain education and certification, the presentation by Randy Knutson moved on to the education models that B2CI will implement:
- Blockchain Integration as a TESDA course – The development and integration of a Blockchain course for The Technical Education and Skills Development Authority aka TESDA.
- Blockchain Elective Courses for Colleges and Universities – A number of elective courses designed for colleges and universities where students can get a major on Blockchain.
- Blockchain On the Job Training and Internship – OJT and internships being offered for undergraduates to immerse themselves with Blockchain.
To end the presentation, Randy Knutson unveiled the project timeline in creating these Blockchain education models to benefit IT, Computer Engineering and Computer Science students.
“There is a growing demand for Blockchain specialists and developers,” said Randy Knutson. We (B2CI), recognize the talent of the IT professionals in this country and it is time that we upskill them in the next wave of technology.”
DynaQuest Technology Services Inc.
19/F Uptown Place Tower 2 11th Drive
Uptown Bonifacio 1630 Taguig City
+63 2 2241862
+63 2 403 1495